SPP245 How to Find the Time You Need to Write with Christine Niles
Many beginning writers have a hard time incorporating writing time into their busy schedules. Guess what? We all have the same number of hours in a day, so you’ve got to make the most of them. Christine Niles, one of the Sterling and Stone Superwomen, reveals how to budget and reclaim lost time, so you can finally find time to write.
- Christine has spent YEARS being organized and efficient, and teaching others how to do likewise. But for the longest time, she’s been a ‘cobbler’s child,’ which is something many creatives face. It gets difficult when you’re not accountable to others for deadlines.
- Christine went back to her project management background. She did a time study where she documented her days, saw trends, and was able to manage the many interruptions in her life.
- The time study is a way to be honest with yourself about what you accomplished, because you look at the facts, not the feelings you have about what you did.
- Consider making an ‘I Did This’ list, where you rate what you do on a scale of important to irrelevant. It’ll give you a look at where you’re spending your time and whether or not it will help you achieve your goals.
- Also, don’t lie to yourself on your time study. That’s just silly. If you’re web surfing cat videos, don’t call it research.
- Feeling like a naughty little kid getting away with something is fun for a little while, but then you have the time hangover. Is it worth it?
- So what story do you tell yourself about what you do? Are they true?
- Multi-tasking is a temptation from Satan, according to Christine. There is NO study that says multitasking is efficient.
Get your copy of Time to Write. If you’re one of those people who feels like you don’t have time, this book will ask you to take a critical look at what you’re doing. There are tons of worksheets and a strategy for accountability. You WILL have time to write!
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution