SPP246 Storytelling for Social Profit with Laura Leigh Clarke
Storytelling is something we all love and enjoy. But did you know there’s a lot more to our stories as a society than entertainment? Today, our guest is Laura Leigh Clarke, who believes that we create the world that we want through the fiction we tell. And as authors, it’s both an incredible opportunity and a big responsibility.
- Laura talks about the wake-up call she had when reading sci-fi, and how she was inspired to write it herself.
- The group discusses hwo our mythology shapes our culture using the example of the ‘wild, wild west’ and the US’s love of guns.
- Laura’s been talking with people from around the world about how to shape nations with stories, so they can improve the quality of life, change the world.
- As authors, we all carry this responsibility, and Laura explains how you can embrace new paradigms in your storytelling that can help change the way people think.
- Laura shares her vision about how to keep your ideas subtle but powerful, and how to start from a timeline to look more deeply at social conflict.
- The group discusses the different social conflicts, such as being gay, being a woman in Trump’s coming presidency, third world countries, technology, and more.
- Sean discusses how your story should never take a back seat to your social agenda, and how to find a balance between both.
- Johnny and Dave talk about heavy-handed propaganda and being ‘preached at,’ and the fine line you walk between that and your message. In other words,
- Laura explains how we are ‘brainwashed’ by stories, and how our brain can’t really tell the difference between stories and life.
- The group discusses the different between positive messages and warning messages, and how warnings aren’t as effective as people think they are.
- Laura even asserts that recycling can be sexy if done in the right way, by focusing on solution rather than the problem.
- The group discusses how you’re inserting your worldview into your stories already, and when you’re intentional about it, so be aware of the belief systems you share with the world.
Want to learn how to weave positive social messages into your stories that will change the world? Hear interviews with experts from many different areas, from craft to LGBT equality, racism, aid workers, and people who are changing the mindset and economies of entire nations. Be a part of Laura’s Storytelling for Social Profit summit. Get your ticket now until Sunday, January 22nd. Just go to StorytellingForSocialProfit.com
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution