SPP247 Commerce and Creativity with John Monk
Every artist has a struggle: feeding herself creatively while also putting actual food on the table. Sure, we’ve addressed this topic before, but John brings an interesting angle and emerging trend to the discussion that will open your eyes to what’s possible, and that feeding and food shouldn’t be an either/or struggle.
- John and Dave talk about the remarkable similarities between their two books and some of the differences. Who ripped off whom?
- John talks about the book that payed for his wife’s cancer treatment, and how he managed to make that much, even though he didn’t have a big list.
- Want to keep track of your stuff? Do what John did and make an Excel spreadsheet, where every day equals a single task.
- John talked about how Facebook ads for a secret pre-order to ‘goose’ the also-bots.
- S&S tends to be wide in terms of genre, but John talks about how he stayed narrow to succeed with Amazon ads. Apparently, Amazon doesn’t waste your money.
- Being fancy in your descriptions isn’t the best thing to do; John talks about how being straightforward in his ads boosted his sales.
- Series stories is big, but like S&S, John is pulling away from it. Find out why…
- While you should embrace realism, there is also a line that you need to draw for yourself. More importantly, draw a line for your readers, so they know what to expect.
- Dave and John discuss why speculative ideas are what make people of all ages read ‘young adult’ fiction.
When you’re ready to get serious about your writing so you can feed both your creativity AND put food on the table, make sure your story is bulletproof before you even start writing it. All you need is an outline and a great developmental editor. Use the editor WE use for our books, and get a StoryJacket today. Discover how at sterlingandstone.net/storyjacket.
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution