SPP252 Making Time for Art and Business
We get the question all the time: ‘How do I make time for art AND business? I just want to write!’ We get it. We can’t all be great at both, but like it or not, business is necessary in a successful artist’s life in today’s world. Today, Johnny, Sean, and Dave explore the ways they – and YOU – can make time for both.
- The best place to start is by deciding what’s REALLY important and prioritizing that list. You can consider outsourcing, if it’s in your budget.
- You can create IP, or intellectual property, that will make money for you forever, and it’s worth segmenting your day to 1) create the property, and 2) sell the property.
- You have to be protective of the time you’ve designated for art and business, and it’s helpful for you AND others, to schedule things for the same times.
- Make sure you look at how you’re spending your time by keeping a time journal that documents actual time spent, not time you planned to spend, doing specific things.
- Take a look at what time you have available each week. Maybe you only have 4 hours, but you need to fill that time with things that move you forward the most rather than what you can feel good about doing – need versus want and high yield tasks.
- Some things to prioritize in business are list and community building, finances that are outgoing and incoming including your time, and strategizing or forward thinking.
- It can be tough to change gears from art to business and back. The guys share their strategies for doing so effectively.
- Sean is never not dreamy.
- It’s worth mentioning AGAIN: be protective of your time and make time for friends and family so they’ll be more willing to give you yours.
Want to be more productive with your time but aren’t sure how to begin? Get YOUR copy of Time to Write and find time in your schedule to do what you’ve been wanting to do for a long time now. Christine Niles, our Sterling and Stone time ninja, shares her years of experience being super-efficient and productive.
What if you could make your writing FAST, FUN, and BETTER THAN EVER?
In the indie publishing world of rapid releases and blistering word counts, it's easy to end up burned out with subpar work, and a loss of the enjoyment that once fueled your craft.
There's a better way. Download your free copy of 'How to Write Fast' today...