SPP267 Time Hacking with Jim Heskett
Jim Heskett is a mystery noir author (why also enjoys snark), and he’s got a crazy life. And a toddler. Today, Dave and the guys talk to Jim about how he manages to hack his time and release book after book. That’s what it takes to make it as an indie author, so supercharge your time management now!
• In 2016, Jim published a quarter of a million words.
• Jim’s system allows him to work an hour to an hour and a half to write a novel in 3 months!
• Jim discusses his process, starting with a short first draft he treats like a lump of clay.
• It’s not efficient to write gorgeous prose you’ll cut later, so Jim tends to keep it short and sweet until his structure is solid.
• Jim talks about how he plots action but pantses his characters, and that’s how it goes from 30K to 60K words.
• Sean picks apart Jim’s process from first to second draft.
• Johnny and Jim discuss how much of the first draft is saved through the second draft, and how much of his work is in replacing descriptions, dialogue, and language – it’s color.
• Jim explains how he uses [brackets] to keep himself in the flow of the story, and how not to waste time.
• Dave talks about how the MUSE is really insecurity; Jim explains what he means.
• The guys discuss with Jim how many drafts you really need.
• Dave talks about having a story with a lot of moving pieces, and Jim and Sean discuss how to keep them all in check.
• Jim shares some of his editing hacks that help him see problems that he wouldn’t normally see.
• Sean is excited about their fiction slate for the next few months!
• Johnny was looking at our trailers and found a related video (what?) on archery.
• Jim has a cool thing: the Squatty Potty. For real.
Check out Jim’s book The Juggling Author!
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution