SPP274 Reader Psychographics with Michelle Spiva
Michelle Spiva does WTF amazing things. Aside from writing ‘the naughty,’ she has taught nearly 10k people how to write fiction. She brings a background of psychology and analytics, so Michelle is the person you talk to when you have a block. Today, they talk about reader psychographics: how readers of all ages are changing over time.
- Michelle talks about how she uses her background in psychology to analyze readers, and how to create a craving in them for your work.
- There are stages of development and the tones that go along with it.
- Michelle uses Harry Potter as an example of how readers change over time, and how your books can reflect it – themes of wonder, magic, love, and conflict.
- The guys and Michelle discuss how age affects what you’re willing to read, and the magic numbers to aim for.
- Michelle discusses nostalgia and how it affects readers.
- Michelle explains how and why 20-40 year old readers are reading across genres.
- Angst and action are powerful; Michelle tells you how to use them to choose demographics for your books.
- Want to write for 18-39 year olds (the biggest demographic)? Michelle tells you exactly what to write. Clue? Hunger games.
- Johnny poses the question for a long-time writer: how to you keep a long-time reader when you’re changing as a writer?
- Sean, once again, takes it to Pixar. Surprised?
- Dave asks how authors who are in a rut can evolve and keep up with where their audience is going. Michelle replies with Sylvester Stallone as a painter. Wut?
- Also, STEPHEN KING DISCUSSION! You really shouldn’t be surprised…
- Michelle gives a very poignant final thought for the guys: the successful author isn’t just about marketing. The successful author is also about how you handle the attention.
- Sean is excited about McKee’s book, It’s the best book on dialogue he’s ever read.
- Johnny had dinner with James from Podium Audio, who introduced him to the idea of the 6 word intro.
- Dave’s something cool is something old: he ignored Izaac Asimov’s work for a long time, but now he is astounded by his writing volume.
- Michelle has been doing Fitbit challenges with the Smarter Artist group, and the Facebook Live she does while walking. She’s down 40 pounds!
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution