SPP290 Sustainability and Health
When was the last time you used the words “healthy” and “writer” in the same breath? The conversation around the working writer rarely includes how not to keep from gaining thirty pounds in your first year writing. In this episode, Johnny, Sean, and Dave discuss better habits for the working writer that will help you stay healthy and maintain productivity.
- Sean talks about why sustainability is important.
- Being mindful is the first step towards a healthier writing life. Sean shares about how he got started.
- Johnny gives a few examples of pairing exercise time with another activity that you also want to accomplish.
- Johnny reminds us that taking a break from writing to walk is important, even better than a treadmill desk.
- Dave and Sean discuss how walking is a great way to unclog your mind when you’re stuck on a story.
- Sean and Johnny talk about how it’s important to have spatial separation from work and home life, even if it’s as simple as a closed door.
- The guys remind us that scheduling and time blocking can be a useful tool to ensure that healthy habits are not broken.
- Another health subject is typing. Learning strategies to reduce stress and pain on your hands and fingers is a sustainability issue that can be addressed with a few different methods.
- Sean is excited about StoryShop’s new update (https://www.storyshop.io/). The new version is fast, efficient, and has real-time collaboration tools.
- Johnny’s something cool is Dialogue by Robert McKee (https://smile.com/Dialogue-Verbal-Action-Stage-Screen-ebook/dp/B017RQP30Q/)
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution