SPP296 Midlevel Author Strategies and Tactics
Many authors find themselves in a situation that feels like treading water: they’re not full time, but they’re not completely failing at publishing. How do you deal with this situation? Do you speed up and push harder, or do you hang back and allow your colleagues to pass you in the left lane? Johnny and Sean discuss the options available to the midlevel author and share their thoughts on how to decide the best course of action.
- Johnny and Sean explain what a midlevel author is with their personal definition.
- There is a critical crossroad that many authors reach during their journey. Johnny describes the two paths before every midlevel author.
- Knowing your “why” (take a shot) and managing your expectations are critical elements to making the best decision for you. Johnny and Sean explain how to align your actions with the result you want.
- The mindset you have when you approach making midlevel author changes can grant your success and peace of mind, or damage your bottom line and creative output. The guys share the best approach when asking yourself these important questions.
- Sean reviews how Sterling and Stone’s ventures have approached their individual crossroad, the decisions they’ve made, and why these choices are right for them.
- Johnny and Sean explain the importance of constant calibration along the creative path.
- Johnny uses an example about social media to illustrate an important point about choosing the healthiest path for your midlevel career.
- Sean addresses the idea of using collaboration to help reach the creative goals you desire.
- BookBub is speaking at the Smarter Artist Summit (https://smarterartistsummit.com/) and Johnny is excited about it… perhaps too excited.
- Sean loves an exercise that analyses Eminem’s Walk on Water (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1WpP7iowLc). Take a listen and see if you can identify how its engineered to be successful and why those principles work.
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution