SPP299 Year in Review
2017 has been a whirlwind year for the Sterling and Stone team. In addition to this year’s prep work, they’ve spent the past four years building the systems and assets needed in order to prepare for 2018’s plans. In this episode, Johnny, Sean, and Dave discuss what they’ve learned in 2017 and how they’ve become smarter artists as a result.
- In 2017, Johnny and Sean attended Robert McKee’s Story Seminar. The guys share how that experience helped redefine their imprints and how they write new stories moving forward.
- The production model for storytelling is an idea the guys have been talking about for years, and in 2017 they’ve taken real steps to build a story studio with that system in place.
- Johnny talks about the importance of asset diversification and how it has allowed them to build a story studio that can’t easily collapse.
- Sean shares how he learned to build ideas that are more inline with the studio’s goals and interests.
- Dave and Sean talk about CI’s growth, and how they’ve taken special steps to get the imprint back in shape.
- Stories To Go (http://www.StoriesToGo.io/) was Sterling and Stone’s answer to a fiction writing and publishing course. They guys share how they came to the idea and why it works better than a traditional course.
- Team building was an important part of Sterling and Stone’s growth in 2017. The guys walk through how their hiring process has changed and how the team has grown.
- 2017 has taught S&S the value of community. The Stone Table (https://stonetable.io/), The Smarter Artist Summit (https://smarterartistsummit.com/), and the Smarter Artist Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/smarterartist/) has become an important part of their development.
- Johnny is reading Essentialism (https://www.com/dp/B00G1J1D28/) and finds it to be an appropriate read for this year.
- Dave got a free trial of Hulu to watch Chance (https://www.hulu.com/chance) and likes the first season, especially because it has a character that belongs in a CI book.
- Sean saw Molly’s Game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu4UPet8Nyc) and really enjoyed it. It’s based on a true story about a skier who runs underground poker games for exclusive players.
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution