SSP003 What We Learned Publishing Over 100 Books
After writing millions of words in the trenches of the self-publishing landscape, Johnny, Sean, and Dave have emerged with many lessons learned from publishing more than one hundred titles. In this episode the guys share their biggest takeaways, including:
- Why there are always exceptions to the rules.
- Why you need to “know your why.”
- How to frame your expectations appropriately.
- Why you can’t copy someone’s tactics wholesale.
- The difference between long-term thinking and short term thinking.
- Why you need to hone your craft.
- Why the lack of momentum and unfulfilled promises are the worst things that can happen.
- How to add subtext to your fiction in order to craft great interpersonal conflict.
- How developing your unique writing voice is what will attract your ideal reader.
- How the market is changing and why it will continue to do so.
- Why you should appreciate where you are in your journey.
- Why genre hopping is a LOT of work and costly.
- How publishing on Amazon is similar to SEO.
- Why writing a book is not the finish line, it’s the starting gate.
- Readers don’t care about traditionally published vs. self-published. They want quality.
- How to balance art and commerce when writing stories.
- Collaboration is the most important part of the process.
- Why it’s important that you don’t obsess over stats and sales.
Are you wondering what the ever-growing demand for superb storytelling skills means for your future? Check out our latest interview as Johnny and Sean dive deep into that question in “Storytelling Is the Future: How to Build On Your Self-Publishing Success.”
Download the interview from the info box or show notes in YouTube or head over to https://www.sterlingandstone.net/future.
What if you could make your writing FAST, FUN, and BETTER THAN EVER?
In the indie publishing world of rapid releases and blistering word counts, it's easy to end up burned out with subpar work, and a loss of the enjoyment that once fueled your craft.
There's a better way. Download your free copy of 'How to Write Fast' today...