SSP003 What We Learned Publishing Over 100 Books
After writing millions of words in the trenches of the self-publishing landscape, Johnny, Sean, and Dave have emerged with many lessons learned from publishing more than one hundred titles. In this episode the guys share their biggest takeaways, including:
- Why there are always exceptions to the rules.
- Why you need to “know your why.”
- How to frame your expectations appropriately.
- Why you can’t copy someone’s tactics wholesale.
- The difference between long-term thinking and short term thinking.
- Why you need to hone your craft.
- Why the lack of momentum and unfulfilled promises are the worst things that can happen.
- How to add subtext to your fiction in order to craft great interpersonal conflict.
- How developing your unique writing voice is what will attract your ideal reader.
- How the market is changing and why it will continue to do so.
- Why you should appreciate where you are in your journey.
- Why genre hopping is a LOT of work and costly.
- How publishing on Amazon is similar to SEO.
- Why writing a book is not the finish line, it’s the starting gate.
- Readers don’t care about traditionally published vs. self-published. They want quality.
- How to balance art and commerce when writing stories.
- Collaboration is the most important part of the process.
- Why it’s important that you don’t obsess over stats and sales.
Are you wondering what the ever-growing demand for superb storytelling skills means for your future? Check out our latest interview as Johnny and Sean dive deep into that question in “Storytelling Is the Future: How to Build On Your Self-Publishing Success.”
Download the interview from the info box or show notes in YouTube or head over to https://www.sterlingandstone.net/future.
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution