SSP012 What Makes a Story Sell
Contrary to popular belief, there is no vault in Hollywood holding the secret that turns a story into a commercial success. In this episode, Johnny, Sean, and Dave share how a story can be crafted to appeal to a wider audience and reach beyond the established boundaries of genre. You’ll learn:
- How a commercial story is defined.
- Why a good commercial story understands dramatic tension.
- How to use character development to retain your audience.
- How emotion can allow you to float a story that is mostly very kinetic and action-centric.
- Why some characters endure and why others do not.
- The cross-section between commercial and “good.”
- Why “classic” and “commercial” are not the same things.
- How extraneous elements can push away your audience.
- Why stories that lack a good hook are likely to suffer commercially.
- How posters, loglines, and social proof quotes can help communicate your vision to a broad audience.
Are you wondering what the ever-growing demand for superb storytelling skills means for your future? Check out our latest interview as Johnny and Sean dive deep into that question in “Storytelling Is the Future: How to Build On Your Self-Publishing Success.”
Download the interview from the info box or show notes in YouTube or head over to https://www.sterlingandstone.net/future.
What if you could make your writing FAST, FUN, and BETTER THAN EVER?
In the indie publishing world of rapid releases and blistering word counts, it's easy to end up burned out with subpar work, and a loss of the enjoyment that once fueled your craft.
There's a better way. Download your free copy of 'How to Write Fast' today...