SSP086 Who’s The Main Character?
A few weeks ago, we had an interesting discussion in the company when we tried to identify a movie with a true dual-protagonist setup. We came up with one (maybe three) between several of us. Could such a setup be so rare? Who the main character or protagonist is in a story is not always straightforward, especially in today’s era of serialized everything. Today, we wanted to talk about the potential ambiguities of primary characters in modern fiction.
We Talk About:
- A Tale of Two Authors: https://sterlingandstone.net/twoauthors.
- Dave enjoyed El Camino (https://www.netflix.com/title/81078819).
- Johnny enjoying:
- The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0022VV0RC?tag=sswebpage-20) and
- Quiet by Susan Cain (https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking-ebook/dp/B0074YVW1G?tag=sswebpage-20).
- Sean enjoying Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJ3TDCZ?tag=sswebpage-20).
- This started from a slack debate: can you have more than one, equality important protagonist?
- What makes a main character?
- Case Study: Stand By Me.
- Our main characters.
- Case Study: Titanic.
- Every character is the hero of their own story.
- Case Study: Better Call Saul.
To get live show reminders: https://sterlingandstone.net/liveshow.
In 15-Minute Dictation, Platt and Silver show you how to adjust your approach to dictation to leave behind frustrating starts and stops and finally be able to produce more books in less time: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/15-minute-dictation/
This is a book about how Dave understands darkness, its place in story, and how I make dark fiction that people enjoy reading. And, at its heart, this book isn’t just about the dark, but also the light. And in our darkest times, it’s more important than ever that we hold onto the light. But first, we must be willing to explore the darkness: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/into-the-darkness/
If you’ve ever wondered what sets the outstanding career authors apart from the wannabes, if you’ve ever been faced with doubts and fears, this is the book for you. Pick up your copy of The 10X Author today!: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/the-10x-author/
In How to Write Fast, Platt and Silver show you how to shift your approach to writing to dramatically increase your natural speed, while tapping into your inner storyteller and unleashing more of the stories you were born to tell: https://sterlingandstone.net/book/how-to-write-fast/
You are the main character of your own story, so why not construct your story the way a writer does? The Story Solution will show you how! If you’re ready to take charge of your life the way a writer takes charge of their story, then pick up your copy today: https://sterlingandstone.net/storysolution